Ever dream of waffles on a Sunday morning? Ever dream of CHOCOLATE waffles on a Sunday morning? Look no further, these waffles will make you very happy anytime – whether it’s Sunday, or any other day of the week. Vegan? Check. Gluten free? Check. Now go and make them! 🙂
I love Minimalist Baker and her recipes and this one was adapted from one of her oatmeal waffle recipes. I like to make her version, with slight changes as I don’t own everything she uses. This time I wanted to make them with oats only and no other kind of flour which causes the waffles to be more on the chewy side. Want more crunch? Substitute some of the oats for flour 😉
The original recipe has quite a lot of ingredients, but, trust me, you won’t regret making these! Add a cuppa joe or your favorite tea and your day will instantly be better. Here are all the ingredients I used:
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk + 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter, such as Earth Balance
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups oat flour – simply put oats into a food processor until it becomes a flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 HEAPING tbsp of raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
Method (edited from Dana’s blog):
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a large liquid measuring cup and let set for a few minutes to curdle/activate. Then add melted butter, vanilla extract and agave nectar and whisk. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated. Let set while your waffle iron preheats.
- Once waffle iron is ready, generously coat with non-stick spray or vegan butter and pour on about 1/3 cup of batter. Cook according to manufacturer instructions and then remove and place on a baking rack.
Voila! Enjoy your morning!!!