Sorry for not posting anything last week. I had things planned, but they didn’t work out, unfortunately. I’m sure you understand, given the circumstances. A week ago, this was my view:
Now we’re back to reality. It took me a couple days to get used to not having that view every day, but I’m happy to be back in my kitchen with my yummy food and the ability to make whatever I want.Valentine’s day is coming next week so I thought I’d make something nice and cute and full of hearts. Enter lemon cupcakes. I LOVE lemon. I love it so much the amount of it I use in a tea makes it seem like I put tea in lemon water. Any lemon treat you show me – I’m intrigued. Anything lemon-y really…Even cleaning supplies.. Or a car scent. I LOVE lemon 🙂
These cupcakes are very simple and only take about 15 minutes of prep. I was trying to figure out what to use to dye the frosting a bit and then it hit me – Spirulina! So, the frosting is not only fully vegan, but it also contains full spectrum of nutrients – no artificial coloring needed. So, celebrate Valentine’s Day or not, make these for someone you love, including yourself 🙂
P.S.: forgive the poopy looking frosting, I’m still learning.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 flaxseed eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp spirulina powder, or more for more color
- Chill a can of coconut cream over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line muffin cups with liners.
- Put butter and sugar in a bowl and mix with dough attachment until fluffy.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour and baking powder until fully combined.
- Add almond milk and lemon zest and juice to smooth the batter.
- Once fully combined, scoop into muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 mins or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cool down and decorate with frosting.
- Mix the coconut cream and spirulina powder until desired color is achieved. I only wanted a light minty color so I used about 1/4 tsp.
- I also made mini heart bon bons to decorate, but those are optional. I have basic recipe for chocolate couple of posts back so if you can’t find it please let me know.