Ok, let’s talk brownies. Who doesn’t like them? Probably only people who can’t eat chocolate because they’re allergic or whatnot. Don’t you wish you could eat these for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner? Well, you can! These brownies have only goodness in them. The chocolate chips are the only “bad” thing and even those are vegan, so there. No one can make you feel guilty about eating these because they only contain good things. If you follow me on Instagram, you know how much I love Lola’s brownies made of chickpeas. That’s right, chickpeas. They are so soft and yummy and healthy and I honestly haven’t met anyone who said they didn’t like them after they tried them! The original recipe can be found in Lola’s book, or here.
This post marks the first one of the “Green Series” that I decided to start. I’ll make a green looking something or other, here and there just for fun. And health benefits, of course. And I’ll make sure it tastes good too, just like these brownies here. I have a number of recipes in mind so stay tuned because I’m very excited! If there’s something you’d like to see, let me know 🙂 Here, I introduce you to Raspberry Spinach Brownies:
Shall we talk raspberry, blackberry and spinach combo? Let’s, because that’s what makes these brownies absolutely amazing. I’ve been playing around with the idea of making these brownies green for a while and I knew I’ll use spinach for its moisture and mild taste. But that left me with green brownies and no particular taste. So I searched my brain for a fruit that would do it and I had no idea that my first choice would be so delicious! When I smell raspberries, I think about my grandparents’ garden full of fruit and vegetables you can only imagine. I’m talking apples, pears, plums, raspberries, currants, carrots, kohlrabi, potatoes and the list goes on and on… It was heaven! Spending my summers sitting in a cherry tree, stuffing myself until I couldn’t breathe – I loved it. Raspberries, for some reason, evoke the most emotions in me. Maybe because my mama loves them so much it’s in our blood 😀
I used a mix of raspberries and blackberries to get a perfect combination of sweet, sour and tart. I think that’s what gives this the kick it needs from all of the other ingredients. The bursting raspberry flavor is addicting! I tried it with blueberries and strawberries as well and the taste was more mild, much like the original recipe so if you want to make the original recipe but don’t want to use beets, feel free to use spinach/strawberry/blueberry combo to get a pretty similar taste 😉
TIP: when you make the dough it’ll look pretty pink and not very green, but that’s normal. The pink color will get absorbed into the parchment paper during baking and when they come out they’re green 🙂
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup mixed raspberries and blackberries
- 1 giant handful of spinach
- 1/2 cup garbanzo or black beans
- 1/2 banana or 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a food processor or a high speed blender, process the oats and the baking powder until flour-like consistency. Set aside.
- Put all of the wet ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Fold into the dry ones until combined.
- Mix in some of the chocolate chips and leave some for the top.
- Pour the dough into a baking dish lined with parchment paper and sprinkle leftover chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20 mins and let cool on a cookie rack.
- They go in pink, they come out green – don’t worry, that’s normal.
- Also if you cut them too early they’ll be pretty mushy. Wait a bit until they cool down for easier cutting.