I mentioned already that I love orange infused anything. Or mint. I do, I really do.
And when you put both of them together – SIGN ME UP!
When this idea came to my mind it was a given I was making it that same day. I mean, come on, you can’t not make them. So crunchy and fluffy at the same time…The almonds get roasted so nicely and their smell and crunch is addicting. Secret? I made sure that when I was making almond flour I didn’t grind it up all the way. I stopped processing about half way where I normally would so that way, I had some flour, some small pieces and then bigger chunks. YUM! I wish I could have you taste that through computer 😀
Orange and mint. Forever an amazing combo. I wanted to make sure that the scones have a balanced flavor or orange and almonds with a hint of peppermint and, boy, did I luck out! Imagine this: the flavors enter your taste buds one at a time so you get to experience all of them separately and then they all blend together for an amazing mix of deliciousness. Oh my gosh, I honestly can’t even describe how amazing these are! Thank goodness I only made a small batch because I ate my share right away.
Have them with your favorite cup of tea or coffee and you’ll see your day will be better right away 😉
- 2 flaxseed eggs
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup flour – I used whole wheat
- 1 1/2 tsp organic orange flavor
- 1/2 tsp organic peppermint flavor
- 8 tbsp COLD vegan butter
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- couple of drops orange flavor
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Make flaxseed egg, let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix orange and peppermint flavor with maple syrup.
- Add all of the dry ingredients and flaxseed egg and mix well.
- Add cold butter and quickly mix/knead with hands until everything is mixed together.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface and add dough.
- Press down until until a flat circle forms, about one inch high.
- Cut into triangles and put on a baking sheet along with the parchment paper.
- Make sure you pull the scones away from each other, about an inch because they’ll rise during baking.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Melt butter, add orange flavor and slowly add sugar until you get the right consistency.
- Drizzle on scones and wait until it hardens.
- Enjoy with your loved ones!