Coffee – the aroma, the taste, the options on preparing it… Unlike anything out there. And yet, I gave up coffee about six months ago because it was fueling my anxiety and making my heart race too much. Another reason is that every time I had it I “crashed” really hard a couple of hours later. I went from happy to half asleep so then I had another cup around lunch time and maybe another after work because I’m a mom and my day is not over until my son’s in bed. It became quite ridiculous..Because of my anxiety I decided to cut it completely and maybe just have a decaf in the morning. Since decaf has some caffeine it was still affecting me, unfortunately. So I decided to try to go without coffee to see how I would do…
And you know what I realized? That I’m fine 🙂 Instead of having “highs” and “lows” I’m more leveled. I also noticed that hearty lunches make me go into food coma like no other. So I started to make healthier choices. And I’m proud of myself for doing so! Then I discovered Organic Burst superfoods and I love them! So far I tried spirulina, maca and chlorella, but I’ll be trying more soon.
Enough rambling though. I miss the taste of coffee. A lot. And so, when I thought about what flavor of cheesecake I should make was a no brainer.
Ladies and gents, I give you raw vegan coffee cheesecake with goji cacao oat base. I’ve been snacking on this every day since I made it and I must say I’m in love! The best thing is the consistency which allows you to eat it frozen or just chilled. Simple – choose the texture and enjoy.
Let’s break down what you’re getting from this cheesecake:
– the taste and smell of coffee which you love so much
– antioxidants, better skin and immunity boost from Goji berries, among other things
– cardiovascular system support and cancer prevention from cacao
– healthier heart, bones and nervous system from cashews
– good fibers and minerals from oats
In short, let’s get healthy together through a dessert 😀
- 2 cups goji berries OR dates, soaked for 15 minutes in warm water
- 2 cups oats
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of cacao
- 3 cup cashews, soaked over night
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup espresso (I used decaf)
- more cacao powder for sprinkling on top
- Soak cashews over night (or 6-8 hours) and drain.
- The next day, soak goji berries for 15 minutes and drain.
- Make espresso and let cool a little.
- In a food processor combine the ingredients for crust and process until sticky dough forms.
- Press into a pie dish – I used 11in baking dish.
- Put in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- In a high speed blender or a food processor, combine all of the ingredients and blend until SUPER smooth.
- Pour into dish on a chilled base.
- Store in a freezer or fridge based on preference.
- Enjoy with loved ones 🙂
- I’m so happy with the consistency of the filling because you can choose whether you’d like it frozen or just chilled while keeping its shape. YUM!