Hmmm, banana bread. Super comforting ANY time of the day. Or night. That’s right. I can eat this anytime. And you know what? It’s ok because it’s got only good things. I’m talking bananas, pecans, chia, oats, almond meal, etc. Can’t beat that! This bread is the breakfast you dream of every morning. It’s also that snack you’ve been craving every afternoon. Dinner? Sure, why not. Go for it and let me know how you liked it 😉
I first started making banana bread when I saw it on Dana’s Site. I made this amazing bread so many times I can’t count. And it’s amazing! Then last weekend I didn’t have peanut butter on hand so I decided to play a bit and see what I came up with. I decided to use less flour and more oats/almond flour and less sugar and more bananas to make it super moist and it worked out! I was able to omit sugar altogether, except a bit of maple syrup and I was able to get flour amount down to half a cup. In this amount of bread I think that’s great.
So I baked it and let it cool, but half of it was gone before it even had a chance to cool down. My husband literally attacked it 😀 I came to it to take a slice and noticed that all of the crunchy pieces on the sides were broken off and enjoyed by him before I even had a chance. I got into Stepford mode and gave him an earful. Poor thing 😀 He survived though. And then I calmed down and we enjoyed it together.
- 4 bananas
- 1 flax egg
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2.5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (I made fresh one)
- 1/4 cup almond meal wet (leftover from when I made almond milk), or dry
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup chia
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- chocolate chips and pecan pieces for top
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Make flax egg and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Once it set, mash bananas with it in a bowl. I didn’t mash all the way because I wanted chunks of bananas once it was baked.
- Add all ingredients through almond milk and mix until combined.
- Add the oats, oat flour, whole wheat flour, chia and pecans and stir.
- Pour into a loaf pan greased with oil or covered with parchment paper and sprinkle chocolate chips and pecan pieces on top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool before slicing.
- Enjoy with loved ones! 🙂