I’ve been waiting SO long to make chocolate popcorn. Honestly, I have no idea why.
I make chocolate all the time.
I make popcorn all the time.
So what’s the deal? I guess I was missing cute cartons that say “popcorn” on them because once I bought them I made it 😀
Have you ever made your own popcorn? SO easy. Always fresh, warm, crunchy. It’s the best. If you follow me on Instagram, you know how much fun I have making it.
When I was little, there was no store bought popcorn. Not that I’m that old, but I grew up in a country in Eastern Europe (politically, otherwise it’s central) and there was nothing like that available. So, we made our own. And that was the best part! It was a ritual – make popcorn, watch a movie.
So now, even though I’m grown up and can buy a popcorn in a bag (which I sometimes do), I prefer to make my own. The way your house smells when you make it (granted you don’t burn it :D) is amazing.
And who doesn’t like chocolate covered popcorn? Get out of here, no way you don’t 🙂 So here you go, for your enjoyment in those quiet evenings with your loved ones, I give you chocolate covered popcorn.
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cacao butter
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder, or as needed
- Make popcorn by putting dry corn and coconut oil in a tall pot.
- Turn heat on high and wait until it starts popping.
- When the popping gets fast, turn off heat and wait until it stops completely. Empty into a bowl, add a bit of salt and let cool off. Make sure you don’t over-salt to create a good balance with chocolate.
- Prepare chocolate by melting cacao butter and maple syrup over medium heat. Stir while melting.
- Once it’s melted, add cacao powder little by little until a thinker cream forms.
- Wait until it cools off completely, but not enough to start hardening. You can check this by stirring occasionally.
- Pour over cooled popcorn and pop into freezer for a couple of minutes until it hardens.
- Enjoy with your loved ones!