I used to be THE pizza chef in our household ever since we started making it ourselves. It started out simple and slowly became a little more complex and yummy until I had it down. It didn’t take long. It was amazing every single time I made it. Everyone was happy.
Until that one day when my husband decided to make it himself using the weirdest ingredients you’d think of putting on a pizza. I let him do his thing because he’s an amazing cook. I’m more into baking sweet things (as you may have noticed). So I watched in disbelief and thought about how I’m going to bed hungry. But, oh boy, was I wrong! This is the best pizza I have ever had. EVER. Hands down. Over time, we changed it up just a bit since I no longer eat meat on my pizza and we added an optional avocado. I mean, YUM.
What are the unusual ingredients, you ask? Well, let’s see. We’ve got:
– bbq sauce (not so unusual on a pizza, but definitely not used with the above ingredients)
This pizza is SO simple. You have 3 toppings besides the tomato sauce and the optional avocado. The combination is so savory and goes together really well.
5 minutes prep, 10 minutes bake and you have the fastest and the most amazing dinner ever. Your kids will thank you, not even talking about your spouses who will follow you around the house every night begging you to make this 😀 Guaranteed.
So, go. Do yourself a favor and make this.
In the meantime, I’m stepping down as the pizza queen and handing the title over to my husband.
- 1 pizza dough of choice (I used Trader Joe’s garlic pizza)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (based on preference)
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- bbq sauce – as needed
- 1/3 cup shredded mozarella
- optional: 1 avocado
- Preheat oven to 470F.
- Roll out the dough and put on a greased pizza baking sheet (I used coconut oil spray).
- Pour tomato sauce and spread all over the dough
- Cut onion so that rings form and spread evenly, or messy, however you prefer.
- Pour a bit of bbq sauce on.
- Cut bits of cilantro and distribute all over the dough.
- Pour more bbq sauce.
- Sprinkle on cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cut and share with loved ones.
- Optional: cut avocado and put on a baked pizza. You can put more bbq sauce on (if you’re as obsessed with it as I am).