Seattle is finally getting into summer mode and all I can think of is ice cream! I’ve been thinking of making healthy version of klondike for a long time, but I didn’t just want to make the basic kind. Then, one day, I was reading my favorite magazine – Better Homes and Gardens – and I saw an add for Klondike with all kinds of new flavors and then it hit me – MINT! But of course! I love mint so much I had no doubt these will be amazing. And so, I put the magazine down, grabbed my herb scissors and the rest was history.
You only need 3 ingredients for these bad boys, with toppings and actual mint leaves being optional. Let your imagination go wild with whatever toppings you want to add. Same goes for the actual ice cream! Add any other fruit, veggie or flavor to bananas and you have plethora of options for your simple and healthy ice cream. So, go on, make some tonight!
I find I like these a lot after my workout. A clean snack that’s great to replenish nutrients you lost during your workout. Done. You all know how much I love making my own chocolate so if you decide to go this route, instead of buying, here is a guide to making it.
- 4 bananas (I used 2 frozen, 2 fresh)
- 2 tsp mint extract
- 6 mint leaves (I put them in for color and some natural mint flavor)
- nuts for topping
- Blend bananas, mint leaves and mint extract in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour mixture into bread pan lined with saran wrap and cover with it as well.
- Let freeze completely in the freezer, best over night.
- Make chocolate or melt store bought.
- Pop ice cream onto a cutting board and slice into about half inch slices.
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and then place cookie rack on top.
- Place slices on cookie rack and cover tops with chocolate.
- Let harden in the freezer.
- Turn slices upside down and completely cover in chocolate. Make sure the sides are covered too.
- Store in freezer.
- Enjoy with loved ones!
- The chocolate will harden fast because you’ll be pouring it over frozen slices so make sure to work fast. Feel free to make simple designs on top 🙂