Seattle is finally getting into summer mode and all I can think of is ice cream! I’ve been thinking of making healthy version of klondike for a long time, but I didn’t just want to make the basic kind. Then, one day, I was reading my favorite magazine – Better Homes and Gardens – and I saw an add for Klondike with all kinds of new flavors and then it hit me – MINT! But of course! I love mint so much I had no doubt these will be amazing. And so, I put the magazine down, grabbed my herb scissors and the rest was history.
You only need 3 ingredients for these bad boys, with toppings and actual mint leaves being optional. Let your imagination go wild with whatever toppings you want to add. Same goes for the actual ice cream! Add any other fruit, veggie or flavor to bananas and you have plethora of options for your simple and healthy ice cream. So, go on, make some tonight!
I find I like these a lot after my workout. A clean snack that’s great to replenish nutrients you lost during your workout. Done. You all know how much I love making my own chocolate so if you decide to go this route, instead of buying, here is a guide to making it.
- 4 bananas (I used 2 frozen, 2 fresh)
- 2 tsp mint extract
- 6 mint leaves (I put them in for color and some natural mint flavor)
- nuts for topping
- Blend bananas, mint leaves and mint extract in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour mixture into bread pan lined with saran wrap and cover with it as well.
- Let freeze completely in the freezer, best over night.
- Make chocolate or melt store bought.
- Pop ice cream onto a cutting board and slice into about half inch slices.
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and then place cookie rack on top.
- Place slices on cookie rack and cover tops with chocolate.
- Let harden in the freezer.
- Turn slices upside down and completely cover in chocolate. Make sure the sides are covered too.
- Store in freezer.
- Enjoy with loved ones!
- The chocolate will harden fast because you’ll be pouring it over frozen slices so make sure to work fast. Feel free to make simple designs on top 🙂
I mentioned already that I love orange infused anything. Or mint. I do, I really do.
And when you put both of them together – SIGN ME UP!
When this idea came to my mind it was a given I was making it that same day. I mean, come on, you can’t not make them. So crunchy and fluffy at the same time…The almonds get roasted so nicely and their smell and crunch is addicting. Secret? I made sure that when I was making almond flour I didn’t grind it up all the way. I stopped processing about half way where I normally would so that way, I had some flour, some small pieces and then bigger chunks. YUM! I wish I could have you taste that through computer 😀
Orange and mint. Forever an amazing combo. I wanted to make sure that the scones have a balanced flavor or orange and almonds with a hint of peppermint and, boy, did I luck out! Imagine this: the flavors enter your taste buds one at a time so you get to experience all of them separately and then they all blend together for an amazing mix of deliciousness. Oh my gosh, I honestly can’t even describe how amazing these are! Thank goodness I only made a small batch because I ate my share right away.
Have them with your favorite cup of tea or coffee and you’ll see your day will be better right away 😉
- 2 flaxseed eggs
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup flour – I used whole wheat
- 1 1/2 tsp organic orange flavor
- 1/2 tsp organic peppermint flavor
- 8 tbsp COLD vegan butter
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- couple of drops orange flavor
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Make flaxseed egg, let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix orange and peppermint flavor with maple syrup.
- Add all of the dry ingredients and flaxseed egg and mix well.
- Add cold butter and quickly mix/knead with hands until everything is mixed together.
- Put a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface and add dough.
- Press down until until a flat circle forms, about one inch high.
- Cut into triangles and put on a baking sheet along with the parchment paper.
- Make sure you pull the scones away from each other, about an inch because they’ll rise during baking.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Melt butter, add orange flavor and slowly add sugar until you get the right consistency.
- Drizzle on scones and wait until it hardens.
- Enjoy with your loved ones!